• The East London Waste Authority (ELWA) is the statutory waste disposal
authority responsible for the disposal of municipal and commercial waste
collected by the London Boroughs of Havering, Barking and Dagenham,
Newham and Redbridge (the Constituent Councils).
• ELWA entered into an Integrated Waste Management Services (IWMS)
Contract in December 2002 to arrange for the treatment and the disposal of
this waste. The IWMS Contract runs until December 2027.
• ELWA and the Constituent Councils have developed a new Joint Strategy for
East London’s Resources and Waste for the period from 2027 to 2057 and the
Joint Strategy has been ratified by all five authorities.
• ELWA and the Constituent Councils are now looking at the steps required to
ensure that new arrangements for waste treatment and disposal are in place in
time for expiry of the IWMS Contract.
• This report will include the recommendation to implement the preferred
option arising from an Outline Business Case for how the services will be
commissioned in future.
Decision type: Key
Reason Key: Expenditure > £500,000;
Decision status: For Determination
Notice of proposed decision first published: 30/11/2022
Anticipated restriction: Part exempt - View reasons
Decision due: 19 Jul 2023 by Cabinet
Lead member: Cabinet Member for Environment
Lead director: Director Neighbourhoods
Contact: Imran Kazalbash, Assistant Director, Public Realm Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
All relevant Business Partners in oneSource will be consulted.