Venue: Committee Room 3B - Town Hall. View directions
Contact: Debra Marlow tel: 01708 433091 e-mail: email@example.com
DISCLOSURE OF INTERESTS
Members are invited to disclose any interest in any of the items on the agenda at this point of the meeting.
Members may still disclose any interest in any item at any time prior to the consideration of the matter.
There were no declarations of interest.
To approve as a correct record the minutes of the Committee held on 25 June, 2019 and to authorise the Chairman to sign them.
The minutes of the Governance Committee held on 25 June, 2019 were agreed as a correct record of the same and signed by the Chairman.
Consideration was given by the Committee to the report of Zena Smith regarding the Polling District and Polling Places Review.
The Electoral Registration and Administration Act 2013 has introduce4d a change to the timing of compulsory reviews of UK Parliamentary Polling Districts and Polling places. This review is required and is independent of the Ward Boundary Review. If required, further to the Boundary Review, The polling District and Polling Placed Review can be revisited to take account of any future ward boundary changes.
Following each election officers review the running of the election and specifically look at any issues in relation to the Polling places. The aims of this review process are as follows:
To ensure that:-
(a) As far as possible polling places are accessible to all.
(b) Polling places fall within the polling district wherever possible.
(c) Account is taken of justifiable complaints by electors, and any responses received from this consultation.
The report and appendices detail consultees, a copy of all responses and a timetable as to future progress.
Members took account of and discussed all wards and representations made in respect of them. Maps of the areas under review were considered by the Governance Committee.
Following discussion, the Governance Committee agreed that:
· BL2 - There are to be no changes to Brooklands Ward at this time.
· BL5 – Romford and Gidea Park Rugby and Football Club will become a double station.
· CM1 and CM2 – there are to be no changes in the Cranham Ward at this time.
· GS6 – (Drapers Pyrgo Priory School) – there are to be no changes to the Gooshays Ward at this time.
· HP8 – Dame Tipping School – Changes are recommended to the Havering Park Ward and investigations will be made following the suggestion at the Committee that the local Community Hall and Church Hall be considered as viable alternatives. It was suggested that both venues would be easily accessible for all including disabled voters. Should these venues turn out not to be suitable following investigation, the venue will revert back to the Pepperell Education Centre, as recommended in the report.
· HT1and HT2 - There will be no changes at this time to the Heaton Ward.
· SQ1 – The Royal Liberty School – There are to be no changes to the Squirrels Heath Ward at this time.
· ST4 – The Herons – there will be no change at this Polling Station at this time.
· ST3 – Olive Academy. It is recommended that HOPWA House should be used as an alternative Polling Station for ST3.
· Upminster Ward – UP1, UP4 and UP6 – There will be no changes to the Upminster Ward at this time.