Decision Maker: Governance Committee
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
The Committee was provided with the Annual Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 (RIPA) update. The committee was asked to consider and, recommend for approval, changes to the Council’s Policy and Procedures on RIPA.
A review of the Policy had been undertaken and the proposed minor changes were marked up in the Policy and Procedure document which was appended to the committee report. The changes were mainly technical or presentational in nature and, more specifically:
- refer to and reflect recent legislative changes and the revised statutory codes of practice;
- refer to the IPCO (instead of the OSC);
- elaborate on what RIPA does and does not do;
- emphasise the enhanced safeguards and authorisation levels required when confidential information may be acquired;
- designate the Council’s Monitoring Officer as the Senior Responsible Officer (SRO) reflecting established practical arrangements; and
- states that the SRO will report to the Leader, Lead Member and oneSource Management at least once a year (and not quarterly) to reflect the much reduced and very limited use by the Council of its RIPA powers.
Members were also asked to note the revised delegation proposals and that there had been no use of the Council’s RIPA powers since the last update.
The committee RESOLVED:
1. To recommend to the Lead Member that the proposed changes to the Council’s Policy and Procedures on RIPA attached as Appendix 1 be approved.
2. To Note the revised delegation proposals.
3. To Note the update on the Council’s use of its RIPA powers.
Publication date: 27/02/2019
Date of decision: 09/01/2019
Decided at meeting: 09/01/2019 - Governance Committee